Thursday, February 14, 2013

Reminiscing


Ever remember something that happened a long time ago that really was not a big event in your life and for no apparent reason you can think of.  However, when you think of it with such a vivid recollection, it makes you wonder if there was more to it.  I had just such an experience a few days ago.   Maybe it was due to a recent death in a family that I consider close friends?  Who knows?  Anyways, the event (if you could call it that) was watching a movie with my Grandmaw.  The movie was "The Villain" and to tell the truth, I don't remember much about the movie. In fact, I could not remember the title, so that made finding it harder, I do remember that it starred Arnold Scharzenegger so I finally used IMDb and typed in True Lies, then went to the cast and clicked on Arnold's name and saw the list of movies he was in and thus found it.  I was surprised it was made in 1979.  Not because the time frame seems wrong or anything like that, but the fact that I watched it with Grandmaw and spent the night.  And the reason this seems off is I don't recall spending the night with her a whole lot after I was out of high school, and it would have been 1980 or 81 when it was released on t.v.  But now that I have found it and read the reviews, I guess my taste in movies at that time was not that great.  It got terrible reviews.  But then again, I never have seemed to like the popular movies, tending to gravitate towards lesser known or at least smaller box office hits. One of my all time favorite movies is "The Man From Snowy River" and it was just a so so movie according to the experts.

But back to my reminiscing. I remember that Grandmaw got to laughing so hard that she turned red. I was a little worried that she might stop breathing.  And I'm not sure if it was her laughter that made me laugh so much, but I do remember laughing a lot myself.  I've seen her do this before so I was not that worried but I do recall telling her she might orta git up and walk around a little. Grandmaw passed away many years ago but other than my parents, she was probably one of if not the most influential people in my life.  She had a way of finding the bright side of nearly every situation.  She also loved to cook and I loved to eat so that may have been part of it.  I remember going fishing with her and she was always pretty serious when it came to fishing. She would tell me, "you're scarring all the fish off acting like that" (me running around being a kid) and when I would pause long enough to actually fish a little, "your never gona catch anything beatin the water with you fishin pole like that".  Right now I would just love to be able to go fishin with her one more time, or watch a movie with her, or eat some of her fried fish and hush puppies. If you're lucky enough to still have your grandparents with you, please find the time to tell them how much you appreciate and love them.  

3 comments:

  1. I miss her, too! I especially miss her turnip greens and cornbread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story about Grandma. I have many memories of those precious fishing trips. And I do remember how when she got tickled about something, it was just an all over belly tickle. She would turn red and just bounce. This probably will not be funny to anyone but me and Grandma. But one time, I was helping her clean out some old things. We were working in the big bedroom with two beds and two dressers. I cleaned out stuff (it was junk jewelry, nick knacks, thread, needles, pins, odds and ends of things in a dresser drawer). If I wasn't sure about it, I would leave it for her. She picked up a little stapler and quickly got a staple flat into her thumb. She said, "Owe." and then something about how it hurt and had me to pull the staple out. I told her I had just done the very same thing. She said, "Why didn't you tell me?" I said, "I was embarrassed about it." Then we both just started laughing. She was doing one of those famous laughs that you talked about in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story Coy! And don't believe the reviews, The Villain was a true classic if there ever was one. From the sound of it, your grandma would have written a much better review of it.

    I wonder if it's on Netflix?

    ReplyDelete