Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Precious Gift - Guard it Well

The preacher where I worship (Brother Mark) told a story in his sermon last Sunday that has stuck with me so far this week...which is kinda unusual in itself....I kid.  Anyways, at church tonight I asked him if  he minded me sharing the story.   He was fine with it.  The lesson was taken from James chapter 2 about how we are to treat or fellow man and how we often have our own little clicks and like to stay in our comfort zone. To illustrate how we often show more respect to people we know he told how his son (age 5) was at preschool when one of the fathers came in and shared what he does for a living with the children.  Apparently this guy fished for a living.   After the class the father was talking to the children when Mark's son piped up that his dad could catch more fish than he could.  He also offered that his dad had caught a shark before.  Now Mark is a good fisherman (or at least to here him tell it he is) but I do have my doubts that he could out fish this guy.   You see, the dad talking to the children was non other than Chris Lane, the 2013 Bassmaster Classic Champion.  I also see one more valuable lesson to be learned from this story.  Children think their parents are the be all end all of just about everything. Unfortunately, this usually only last up until about the time they hit the teenage years. But, during this time, we, as parents should be extra diligent to lead our kids by being a good example. They are watching our every move and hearing our every word.

No comments:

Post a Comment