Sunday, February 10, 2013

One excuse is as good as another

And by that I mean, most of the things we do in life (or have happen to us) are the results of our own actions, but we often make excuses for why certain things remain undone or do not turn out like we planned.  A perfect example for me is my weight.  It was easy to stay in shape up until I hit about 30.  Then I slowly started adding on the lbs.  By the time I hit 40 it was official, I was fat.   However, I carried it well, or at least that's what folks would tell me, so it was not that big a deal and I did not  become obsessed about it.  However, since I like to ride my recumbent up and down the mountain and also enjoy backpacking, keeping my weight in check would be advantageous, not to mention the fact that it is just healthier.   And here are where the excuses come in.  Like I mentioned earlier, I would have folks say, well you don't look fat. In fact I took pride in asking folks how much they thought I weighed.  I would get answers like 200 or 210 lbs  when In fact I weighed about 235 #.  And now that I'm up to around 250 # I still get similar answers, only now it is you don't look that fat...and they usually guess somewhere around 230 #.  Another excuse I like to use is my wife. We like to go out and eat on Friday or Saturday night.  We will usually order something different and then share.  As a perfect example, we went to eat on our birthday last Thursday night (we share the same birthday).  She ordered shrimp and grits and I ordered a stake.  I cut her off a medium sized piece of my steak and she said, that's too much.  She cut about half of it off and handed it back.  She then proceeds to put well over half of her food on my plate. Another excuses is that the little ole ladies at church cook way too good!  When we have a fellowship meal after services I have a habit of eating 2 plates full of food and then a plate full of desert after that.  At one time a lady (now deceased) would make 2 strawberry pies, and would always announce, now one of those is for Coy.  I honestly never did eat the whole thing but I would often eat at least half.

Along with over eating I also make excuses for not exercising.  I like to get out and ride my recumbent or walk to the holler, but often times I will let 2 or 3 days go by without a good walk or ride.  One excuses is my job.  After working a 24 hour shift, I come home and take a long nap and then get up around noon.  I will then laze around the house the rest of the day.  And because if this I wont sleep good this night and will often take a long nap the second day I'm off.  Another excuse is the weather. If it is raining I probably wont ride or walk, but I also let the cold or the wind stop me, especially from riding.  I do walk more in the winter so at least I don't get completely out of shape, but every spring that first ride back up the mountain is a killer.   I also watch way too much football and TV in general.  Perhaps to make up for the fact that we did not have a TV until I was about 14.   But even so,  I remember a time when there would only be a couple of Bama football games televised each year.  That meant I usually spent Saturdays fishing, hiking or doing some type of outdoor activity.  Now there are usually only a couple of games a year that are not televised and even those are usually available on pay per view.  And then there is NASCAR.  Before I became a fan I would usually play basketball or something similar after morning services. Now I come home, plop down on the couch and watch the race.  Last year I bought a rower with the plan being to use it while watching the race or a ball games.   I used it pretty regularly for about a month but here lately I've noticed it seems to serve only one purpose.  I will say it makes a pretty good coat rack. And besides, the treadmill in the bedroom was already full.


No comments:

Post a Comment