Monday, March 4, 2013

I'm a little perturbed

That looks a little off kilter to me
Been a cold rainy couple of months.  Today's 10 mile ride on the Dynamik (road like bike) showed me just how much out of shape I have become.  I'm all fired up to get back into riding shape and lose a little weight and it is finally warm enough this afternoon to ride the Bumble Beast without bundling up so much. I head out across the yard.  I hear a popping noise coming from behind me and the bike feel like I just slammed on the brakes.  I stop immediately but apparently not fast enough.  I get off to look for whatever caused the noise and survey the damages. I see that my chain has almost come apart, but instead of separating completely, just one side came loose and it grabbed the whole derailleur.  It's hard to tell how much damaged it did to the derailleur and it also bent the derailleur hanger pretty much beyond repair IMHO.  So, gonna have to order another hanger and hope I can straighten the derailleur enough to get back on the trail.   I'm pretty sure the chain separation is my fault.  I tried to save a little money and only bought 2 chains and then used the old chain form my MTB to make up the needed distance.  Yes, recumbents use about 2 1/3 chains.   Only the new chain was a different type and we (my personal bike mechanic) had a hard time just getting the pins in where the two different type chains connected.

I am frustrated right now but to tell the truth, it's no big thing.  Sure it is gonna cost me some money, perhaps more than I saved by going with mismatched chains. And I will miss a week or more of prim riding opportunities.  However, there are folks with a lot more to worry about than a bent bike. bent bike...git it...  I'm also thankful I was not going downhill on my MTB when this happened.

PS: I had several folks asking me about the mismatched chain so here is a closeup.

No comments:

Post a Comment