Monday, March 4, 2013

forget saving the planet

My wife called needing me to bring her something at work.  She works about 5 miles from the house so instead of jumping in my truck (a 4 cylinder stick shift for the record)  I decided to ride my bike.  It was a chilly (48 F) and windy ride but I managed to work up a decent sweat.  I figure the exercise is good for my health and by riding my bike I'm cutting down on the pollution caused by burning fossil fuel.  Imagine my chagrin when I learned I was in fact doing just the opposite.  You see, I got home and was surfin tha intraweb (BentRiderOnline message boards to be exact) when I ran across a thread about bicyclist polluting the air, or at lest according this republican state representative from Washington St.  Click here to read the article.  Hmmm, funny how that link all of a sudden don't work.  Big Brother?  Try this one before they take it down as well.  A good friend has informed me of slashdotting.  Google it if your not familiar ( I had to, too)

Editing to add, he has since apologized, admitting that his comparison of humans emitting CO2 was way out of line. Read it here.  And while I can not judge whether he is truly sorry or just sorry it caused such a stink (and possibly votes) I can at least let it be known he has apologized. 

Now I myself vote pretty much republican, so when I see things like this it makes me cringe a little.  Sorta like when I hear about another mass shooting. These folks need to wake up and quite rurning..ruining my life. I won't debate the science or politricks because I'm not a scientist or a politician... but the last time I checked, humans and animals put of  CO2 when we breathe, and plants breathe it in and convert it to oxygen, so at least some CO2 is needed.  I think the problem stems more from the industrialization of the human race which has only been around for a few hundred years.  And just to be clear...industrialization (not humans) has only been around a few hundred years.  I'm also not against industrialization.  In fact, I like being able to watch NASCAR, washing my clothes in a machine and taking a hot bath once a week...but I was curious to see exactly who/what contributes the most CO2 but could not find a good graph to illustrate what humans and animals produce.  Is it so low compared to things like transportation, industry etc (all human related of course).  I did find  this one in this article.


No comments:

Post a Comment